Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Another bag for the bag lady

Over the past couple of days, I made myself this:

I love, love, love my new Chic on the Halfshell! It's a pattern by Drew Emborsky, aka The Crochet Dude, and you might recognize the yarns from that great box of goodies Pam RAK'd me last month.

I want to take a minute to plug Pam's yarns, which you can see and buy here at Thistleknit Handspun Yarn. Not only are they the ultimate in gorgeousness, they work up so nicely and are yummy to the touch. I used two of her yarns in this purse, along with some of the commercial sage and violet she gifted me. The whitish yarn you see is a greyish white with silver plied into it. It's amazing in person, and I think it's her Johnny Reb colorway. The multi-color yarn in the center is Twelve Oaks. I think its beauty speaks for itself.

Okay, now that I've waxed rhapsodic about Pam and her yarns, I can wax on and off about the purse itself. It's a love-it-or-hate it pattern, I think. People are either intrigued by and enamored of its unique shape, or they just don't like it. I am both intrigued and enamored. Jason is not. I'm okay with that; he's not the one who'll be carrying it. One crocheter on Ravelry described it as looking like a TIE fighter from Star Wars. I kind of have to agree, and the geek in me likes it even more for this revelation.

I tackled lining the purse this afternoon, which was pretty simple. I just laid the purse out on the fabric and traced half of it. When I cut it out, I folded the fabric in half, so it would be symmetrical. Sewed it right sides together, no problem. The issue came in hemming the top edge. I didn't take my time and ended up puckering it. Phooey. I think to do a truly professional job, it would have to be cut a bit bigger along the top opening and gathered. I don't have the patience to figure that out, so I'm going to be happy with the job I did.

And now I will returned to my Crocheting for Obama frenzy...

No comments: