Saturday, April 19, 2008

My Day!

It occurred to me a couple of days ago that Mother's Day is coming up, and for the first time in three years, I don't have to work that day! (I'm on a leave of absence.) I began to think about what I'd really like to do for the day, and I decided I'd really like to spend it outdoors with my guys, preferably letterboxing.

So, it's set! The day before MD (aka Mother's Day, aka My Day), it looks like we're going to drive down to Callaway Gardens. Fredbird's employee discount will get us a great rate at a hotel in nearby Lagrange, and we'll pass through two counties that I can do boxes for: Coweta and Troup. My Charles Harris box in Pine Mountain is apparently in need of a new logbook, which I'll admit is a large part of the reason I chose to visit this part of the state. I've never seen the location of this box, as The C Team planted it for me years ago. Of course, Callaway has a few boxes of its own, and the Pine Mountain Trail has several, too. Looks like the makings of a great letterboxing weekend! (And I'll figure out later how to make it up to my mother-in-law for not being around on Mother's Day. My mom will be in Virginia with my sister that weekend.)

So, for the new boxes...these will be part of my Georgia Counties Series. Each box in this series is in honor of the namesake of the county it's planted in. I've barely begun, with boxes planted for DeKalb, Gwinnett, and Harris Counties. Coweta County is named for the Coweta Tribe of the Creek Nation of Indians. Boy, is it hard to find information on the Coweta Tribe! The most prominent member of this tribe, according to written history, is a man by the name of MacIntosh, who was half Coweta Creek, half Scottish. He's the one who signed away the Creek lands to Georgia and was later put to death by his tribe for that crime. Not someone I'm particularly in the mood to immortalize in a stamp. I've found a few other articles and websites about the Creeks, but nothing at all in reference to the Coweta Tribe. The few things I have found are going to be difficult to translate into stamps, but we'll see what I can come up with.

The other un-planted (for me) county on our drive to Callaway is Troup, named for one of the governors of Georgia. There are several portraits of him to draw from, but I'm actually quite inspired by a photo I found of his tomb. It's striking, and I'd love for this series to be more than just a portrait gallery of famous Georgians. (e.g., The Gwinnett stamp is a replica Button Gwinnett's signature, as he was a signer of the Declaration of Independence.) I don't know, though...a tomb is kind of morbid. Regardless, I won't make the final decision known here, so the stamp will be a surprise!

No comments: